This Sunday at Village
8:15 a.m.; 10:45 a.m. (and Saturday evening at 5 pm) — First Sunday in Advent - register to attend here
- 8:15 service is live-streamed on Vimeo, Facebook, and YouTube and will be available on-demand thereafter
- Both services will be available over the phone
This Week at Village
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 25
- 4:00 p.m. — Children's Choir
- 7:15 p.m. — Adult Choir
- 10:00 a.m. — Day of Thanksgiving - Matins
- 5:00 p.m. — Divine Service - First Sunday in Advent - register to attend in-person here
- 8:15 a.m. — Matins - First Sunday in Advent - register to attend in-person here; live-streamed on Vimeo, Facebook, and YouTube and available on-demand thereafter or listen live via telephone
- 9:30 a.m. — Sunday school and Bible study - attend in-person; adult Bible study live-streamed on Vimeo, Facebook, and YouTube and available on-demand thereafter
- 10:45 a.m. — Divine Service - First Sunday in Advent - register to attend in-person here; listen live via telephone
- 6:30 p.m. — WashU LSF (via Zoom)
- 7:00 p.m. — Quarterlife
>> Receive free event text message reminders
Divine Service (8:15 a.m. and 10:45 a.m.)
- Listen to livestream — villagelutheranchurch.org
- Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/VillageLutheran/
- Vimeo — https://vimeo.com/villagelutheranchurch
- Podcast — http://villagelutheran.podbean.com/
- Youtube — https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-fY1YvaKiruN4tC92Z5yQ
- Listen by telephone — Call 1-800-457-9860. When prompted, enter passcode 8109865#.
- Listen on demand — The Divine Service is archived here. Sermons and Bible Studies are available as a podcast through your preferred podcast service (search for "Village Lutheran") or by clicking here.
Let Us Pray (from The Treasury of Daily Prayer)
We have thought on Your steadfast love, O God, in the midst of Your temple. (Psalm 48:9)
Merciful God, You have promised to those whose names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life that they will dwell in the New Jerusalem, where the temple is the Lamb whose lamp lights the world. Prepare us to enter this heavenly city at the Supper You prepared for us here of the very body and blood of the Lamb, even as we participate now in the marriage feast of the Lamb in His kingdom, which has no end; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
Liturgical Season — Blue covers the altar and pulpit as we enter the season of Advent in testament to the royalty of our coming King. Explore the beauty of the Church Year.
- First Reading — Isaiah 64:1-9
Oh, Give Thanks to the LORD
Join us as the faithful gather on the day of Thanksgiving, November 26, 10 am to give thanks to Christ for His many blessings.
Advent midweek services begin next Wednesday, December 2. Join us at noon or 7 pm as we prepare for the arrival of Christ, our Prophet, Priest, and King.
Hanging of the Greens
Please mark Saturday, December 5 from 9-12 to join in beautifying the church for the Christmas season. Enjoy chatting with friends over coffee and donuts. Please sign up in the Lounge or contact the office. Many volunteers are needed and appreciated!
Youth Christmas Party
The annual youth Christmas party will take place Sunday, December 6 following the 10:45 service. We will gather around the Word, enjoy a provided lunch, have a gift exchange ($10 limit), and carol. RSVP to Pastor by Wednesday, December 2.
Katie Luther League
Ladies, if you have signed up to bring items for our December servant activity, please bring your donation to church by Sunday,
December 13. Questions? See Marilyn Daughhetee or Karen Bogad.
Giving Thanks for Judy
Our recognition of Judy's faithful years of service upon her retirement is postponed until a later date. When it is scheduled, notification will be given to the congregation.
Village Music Director
The Board of Elders is receiving resumes from applicants for the position of Music Director. Deadline is November 30. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com.
Matins on November 29
The Prayer Office of Matins will be prayed on Sunday, November 29 at the 8:15 service. The Divine Service will be celebrated on
Saturday, November 28, 5 pm and on Sunday, November 29, 10:45.
Stewardship Sunday was observed on Nov. 15, 2020, at Village Lutheran Church.
- Take time to thank God for His gifts to you.
- If you haven’t already done so, fill out the anonymous 2021 commitment form.
- Place the completed form in the offering plate during any Divine Service in November. You can also mail or hand-deliver the completed form to the church office.
Complete the Vanco banking authorization form if you would like to give offerings through an electronic funds transfer. If you are already registered, you can use the form to change donation dates and amounts. Mail or hand-deliver the form to the church office.
Village's Board of Missions is again partnering with Humanitri (a Lutheran organization serving those facing homelessness in St. Louis) with the annual angel tree. Beginning this Sunday, you can pick up the name of one of Humanitri's clients for whom you will buy and wrap a Christmas present. Names, instructions, and suggestions can be found in the lounge.
Village's Sunday, 10:45 am service will be broadcast on KFUO (AM 850; kfuo.org) December through February. For $150 you can sponsor a service in honor of a loved one or anonymously. Contact the church office to reserve your date.
The edition of Family Altar for this Sunday is available here for your use in the coming week.
For peace and justice to prevail amid unrest
For the suffering, medical professionals, governing authorities, those who have lost jobs, those who are underemployed, and all people amid the pandemic
For all women who are with child and the children growing in their womb
For those who are ill, injured, hospitalized, homebound, or recovering, especially Steve, Barbara, Jim, John, Scott, Louise, Barbara, David, Jackson, Jim & Penny, Paul, Alison, Carol, Stephanie, Dick, Judy, Allan & Jan, Luke, Valerie, Fred, John, Dan, Preston, London, Tammy, Peter, Elizabeth, Maggie
For those outside the faith that the Spirit would bring them to faith, especially Ken and Michael.
For those who rejoice
For those who mourn
For those who serve in the military
For our community, its civic leaders, government officials, educational institutions, and residents.
For the students, faculty, and staff of Washington University as we carry the Gospel to them.
For the students, family, and faculty of Village Lutheran Preschool that they would be strengthened in faith.
For the Church, the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, our congregation, and all those who have faith in Christ
For all missionaries, especially David and Jennifer (Dominican Republic), Tirzah (Dominican Republic), and Phillip (Francophone Africa)
Stewardship Thought (LCMS Office of Stewardship)
Matthew 25:44 – “Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ ” With this parable Jesus once again emphasizes that our good works come from who we are, not the other way around. Sheep do sheep works, and goats do goat works. So, first things first. If we want to live more faithfully, let us come to Jesus, receive His gifts, and ask him to increase our faith.
Witness & Outreach Thought (LCMS Witness & Outreach Ministry)
Matthew 25:31-46: The parable of the sheep and the goats does not put an emphasis on works, but instead, it puts them in their proper perspective. Here is the greatest perk for serving the Lord. With every task and every deed and with every person, we have the opportunity to meet Christ in that person and through that deed. So, how do we wait for Judgment Day? With certainty in His pronouncement of our sins forgiven, with certainty of receiving inheritance that our compassionate Judge has prepared us for eternity, and with certainty that every day, every task, every vocation has significance to God and to us, because unbelieving souls are saved through the power of the Holy Spirit and believing souls meet Christ as they wait.
Weekly offerings may be made via automatic electronic funds transfers to Village Lutheran Church. Submit a simple registration form to start; changes may be made at any time.
Village also accepts stock donations to our brokerage account and IRA Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCD) sent directly to Village. Email Village Bookkeeper for details.
View this email in your browser